Thursday 15 January 2015

There and back

Walking and thinking at the same time are ideally suited. In fact, I just thought of doing this occasional series of walking related posts whilst out on a walk this morning!  Going for a walk gives you time out from daily concerns and frees the mind to wander, just as your feet wander down the road. It's also good for you!

One of the things I find most frustrating about living in the middle of the countryside is the boredom that sets in, walking the same road and paths day after day, month after month, year after year - so much so, that I've virtually stopped going for walks round here. My eyes have become lazy and immune to the subtle changes around me. This morning, though, I thought I would try and turn that feeling of boredom into an advantage and make an effort to observe my surroundings more closely, to see if I could find things I hadn't noticed in the past, or to picture them in a different light. 

No two days are the same, depending on the hour, the weather, the season. At the beginning of my short walk this morning the sky was a cloudless blue but on my return, the clouds were rolling in from the west, casting dramatic shadows over the landscape. Things also take on a different appearance on the route back compared to the route out. In theory this should mean there will be something new to photograph all the time. I'm seeing this as a sort of challenge - to try and make an interesting photograph out of the banal and everyday. We shall see! 













No comments:

Post a Comment